Welcome to Year 1.
Our class teachers this year are Miss Davison and Mr Alderson. We are supported by Miss Muckles. We are looking forward to this academic year and have some information for you.
- PE will be on a Tuesday morning. The children will need a suitable kit for either indoor or outdoor PE depending on the weather. Unfortunately we do not have any spare P.E kits so parents may be phoned to bring one in.
- Homework and spellings will be given out every Friday and must be returned the following Wednesday. Homework will consist of one piece of English, one piece of maths and spellings. Spelling tests will be on a Thursday. Please note: any homework returned after Wednesday will not be marked.
- Reading books are to be brought in every day and there must be a signature from an adult in the reading diary when they have completed the book.
- ICT will be on a Friday afternoon.
- Children have also been given a number workbook for you to use at home to support basic skills.
The Autumn Term
*In RE we are currently learning about Harvest – what it is, why we celebrate it and how food is harvested. We will also be visiting our Forest School to collect autumn leaves.
*In Geography we will be learning about mapping; introducing children to maps and globes, locating countries on a map and even trying to draw some of our own!
*In History we will be learning about Pablo Picasso; who he was, what he did, what he was famous for, exploring his work and even trying some of our own paintings in the style of Picasso!
*In RE we will be learning about Christmas; looking at Christmas traditions and of course the story of Jesus' birth.
*In I.T we will be practising our computer skills. Simple steps such as opening and closing programmes, typing into a word document, changing text colour and font size as well as saving our work before moving onto more difficult programmes and concepts such as browsing, copying and pasting.
*In P.E are running and jumping moving on to movement and dance.
In Science we are learning about seasonal changes and also animals including humans. Science will be taught in Miss Davison's class by Miss Erskine and Mr Alderson's class will be taught by Mrs Churchill.
Miss Davison and Mr Alderson would like to say thank you so much to parents and children for bringing in reading books everyday. Children have been assessed and we can already see a massive improvement in the children who read everyday at home!